Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 7yr. old chihuahua who up until 3 mos. ago was

Customer Question

I have a 7yr. old chihuahua who up until 3 mos. ago was going outside to relieve himself. Now, the only way he will go outside is if we pick him up and carry him. Someone is always home if he needs to go.I need for him to go outside consistantly.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Chico is not toileting outside by himself.

Will he go to the door to let you know he needs to go out? Is he house-soiling if you don't initiate him going outside regularly?

Is wanting to be carried out only for urination or defecation or both? If he is house-soiling, where does he go in the house (by the door, in a spare room, livingroom, etc).

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you this morning.

Dr. Amanda

How is your pup doing? Any change in toileting habits? What questions do you have for me?

Dr. Amanda