Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate fly bait poosion. No vets available due to we are

Customer Question
not established client. He is...
My dog ate fly bait poosion. No vets available due to we are not established client. He is experiencing vomitting , tremors, breathing rapidly, his eye turn red. What can we do for him to reverse the posion?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: No but we saw the bag of fly bait posion on the ground in his area
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He also has diarrhea. He is a cinnamon husky.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
9/4/2016
Dog Specialist: Christi Belew, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help. Can you tell me the exact brand of fly bait poison? What is your dogs weight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's called fly bait powder concrete form. He weighs about 45 lbs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It looks like he is experiencing seizures now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was called quick bayt

If he is having a seizure, you need to go to the ER clinic immediately. They can properly get the poison out of his system and treat the symptoms he is having.

I checked Bayer. com and they recommend immediately seeking an ER if ingested. https://bayer.naccvp.com/product/basic/view/1040043?e=LSdew7K4HnVeeL2EuzyjnfL5DhrACqQQ

https://bayer.naccvp.com/product/basic/view/1040043?e=LSdew7K4HnVeeL2EuzyjnfL5DhrACqQQ

If you do not have access to an ER within 30-40 minutes of your location, please let me know. There is not much that can be done at home, he will need IV medications to control these symptoms.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We don't have an ER clinic near by. We are 2-3 hours away from nearest one.

Ok, I'm going to do some digging on some options for at home. Can you list for me any medications you may have left over at home?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Medication for humans? I don't have any medications for dogs.

It is essentially an overdose of imidacloprid. In a clinic setting, he would be given IV fluids to flush his system and anti-seizure medication (like diazepam, phenobarbital, etc). It is not recommend to induce vomiting, as this product is damaging to the esophagus. Your best bet is to keep him in a calm, quiet place, give not food for 12 hours and offer small amounts of water.

I have found this information, it is a direct call to Bayer that should be open as well:

Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control center or doctor or going for treatment. For emergency medical treatment call 1-***-***-****. For customer service or to obtain product information, including MSDS, call 1-***-***-****.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Than you so much for all your help. My dog passed away.

Oh no! I am so very sorry.

Christi Belew
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian