Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog woke up and starting drinking water fast and ignored

Customer Question
Hi, my dog woke up...
Hi, my dog woke up and starting drinking water fast and ignored food. Stomach feels bloated and he seems like he wants to lie down and not do much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: King, 6 months normally healthy got into some garbage the other day and may have eaten some cat litter last night i was gone and came home and he had gotten out. no signs of eating garbage or anything else
JA: The Veterinarian will know if King will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about King?
Customer: normally his waist feels thin, feels bloated
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
9/3/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much cat litter could he have eaten last night?

How long ago was his garbage raid? What did he get then?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any diarrhea, black stool, or straining like he needs to pass stool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there thanks for getting back to me. The cat litter was fresh last night and looks like there really is none gone. The garbage raid was actually 3 nights ago. There were eggs, and roughage from eating juicing fiber, pears, etc. no gaging, retching, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting. Gums are pink moist. If you press on belly he belched but nothing else. Stool is semi loose
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Concern is that he doesnt eat his breakfast and never does that, he drank 2 bowls of water, stomach distended
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there

Thank you,

I am and need a moment to type out my fully reply.

I will post again shortly,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

Thank you,

First, we can see increased thirst for a range of reasons. It can be a nausea sign (as is his appetite loss), secondary to inflammatory disease or systemic disease (ie organ troubles, metabolic imbalances) but also could be triggered by him eating something dry and mineral ***** *****ke cat litter. So, even though the garbage isn't likely an issue (with the time frame and the contents), we have a few concerns and need to tread with care.

Now if we potentially have something like litter in his gut that could be unbalancing his normal fluid/electrolyte balance, then we need to keep a close eye on him. Now the weakness is a concern, but if you see signs of dehydration, then we’d be concerned that this is our culprit and we’d want him seen urgently. To check that dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If he has a normal hydration, then you can let him controlled access to water (ie 1/2c every hour) as we let the body absorb and pass that excess belly distending fluid.

Though if his hydration is normal and he didn't have much, then we can also try to counter any nausea. To do so, you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As well, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to help push any litter through the gut.

Of course, we carry out the above, we’d want to be keeping a close general eye on him. Since we have a possible gut blockage concern with what he may have eaten, we’d want to make sure we see no signs of belly discomfort, paling gums, restlessness, straining to pass stool (especially black stool since that is a sign of a gut bleed) or vomiting.

Overall, we need to be very careful here with King. His sudden signs raise some serious worries. Therefore, we want to monitor him closely, check those parameters I noted, and start supportive care. Though if he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him, potentially check bloods if a systemic issue is suspect after their exam, and determine which of the above is present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-nausea medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's actually eating now, is this a good sign?

Hi again,

That is a positive to see. Though do make sure he has small meals with at least 30 min. breaks to just offset any risk of vomiting. As well, we'd want to offer food slowly if it is dry since all that fluid in the stomach will distend kibble and could distend him further and make him uncomfortable. But that is a step in the right direction here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you !

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian