Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I am 90 years old and my dog toe nails bruise me all the

Customer Question
time can i have them...
I am 90 years old and my dog toe nails bruise me all the time can i have them removed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy He is a house dog
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He actually draws blood when he is simply putting his paws on me
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
8/31/2016
Dog Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. We do not remove toenails due to scratching. You can work with a groomer or your local vet, who can dremel the nails to keep them short and take any sharp edges off. This would likely need to be done every 6-8 weeks to keep them short enough not to injure you. Feel free to ask additional questions. If you are satisfied with my answer then please take time to rate. Take care.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is not mere scratching he will cause my entire arm to bruise

I apologize. that got cross posted. Please ignore last response.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats my answer, what is this a bait and switch

No. Sometimes the system will post the wrong reply. that was for another customer who received my answer to you. I apologize. I would try having the nails taken down, very short and then smoothed. This should significantly help with Buddy scratching you so deeply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Done that already and it doesnt work. Please understand that I am 90 and have extremely sensitive skin
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just small protrusions cause me damage

My great grandmother had the same issue. She lived to be 100. The other possibility is to keep socks or dog booties on his feet during the day to prevent scratching. Have you tried covering the feet? How big is he?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
haven't tried that he is a 17 lb very large minpin
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can u get a good pair somewhere

Yes. Let me try to post a couple of links for you. Give me a few minutes.

Link to an article on the best and worst boots for dogs http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/4_1/features/The-Best-and-Worst-Dog-Boots_5020-1.html

Here is one that lists the top five boots. There are a couple of sock like ones that may suit your purpose. http://www.sheknows.com/pets-and-animals/articles/968421/top-5-dog-shoes

Take a look at these and let me know what you think or any additional questions.

Hi Kevin,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian