Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My puppy is seven weeks old. She started acting strange

Customer Question

My puppy is seven weeks old. She started acting strange yesterday morning, but she was still moving around. Tonight I come home from work and she is acting really strange. She won't walk around, she won't eat, she will drink water if given to her out of a puppy bottle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I didn't see one while I was looking. Should I check again?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Luna.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?
Customer: She just isn't active like she used to be. She had lost a lot of weight since yesterday. The vets office won't wait for me to pay them when I get my check. So I am hoping you can give me some information on what I can do at home to help her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 11 months ago.

What kind of puppy is she? Has she had any vomiting? Can you get her to eat food if you make it into a gruel and put it in a syringe or bottle for her?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is a dachshund mixed. She isn't vomiting. I put some canned food on my finger and give her a little. She'll spit some out and eat a little. She is stumbling around now and shakes really bad when I take her out from under her blanket.

If he blood sugar is low that can cause her to shake. Small breed puppies can have trouble regulating their food sugar when they are young as they don't have a lot of muscle mass to store glycogen reserves. Since we are unable to test this, you can give her some Karo syrup or maple syrup or anything you have that is surgery and see if this helps. If it does her blood sugar was low. If it does not help then there is another cause of the signs you are describing. In either case, I recommend offering her water and food via the bottle as much as you can to keep her hydrated until you can take in to the vet to be examined and treated appropriately.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will low blood sugar cause her to whine all the time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She is ice cold. Her entire body. What could be going on?

There are lots of things that can cause low body temperature. Yes, low blood sugar is one of them, kidney failure is another, low blood pressure is another, dehydration is another and the list goes on. As far as the whining goes, pain, discomfort, confusion, anxiety, hunger, thirst, etc all come to mind and makes me think that there is a basic need that is unmet. Yes, it could be confusion or fatigue from low blood sugar but that is not the only cause.

As you know the best way to know what is going on with her is to have her examined by a veterinarian as I am very limited without a physical exam and there are only so many things that we can do at home without hospital equipment. Addressing a possibly low blood sugar, warming her and making sure that she is drinking (and ideally eating) are the best ways of helping her until you can get to a veterinarian and pay for treatment.

The best thing to do is to provide an external source of heat until her temperature is normal. The normal temp of a dog is 100.5-102.5. You can take it with a rectal thermometer and stop heat support when her temperature reaches 100 as we do not want her to overheat. If it drops back down, then you can re-institute heat support.