Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter, Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield
95952882

He is hacking and sneezing out thick mucus, He's 4 months

Customer Question

He is hacking and sneezing out thick mucus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's 4 months his name is raptor
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about raptor?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Chelsea Pulter replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Poor Raptor! When did this start to happen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This morning

Has Raptor eaten anything today?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he ate breakfast and dinner plus some treats... He's not drinking a lot but he wasn't as hot today as it has been

That's good. We need to make sure Raptor continues to eat well. How often is he coughing and sneezing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He was coughing every thirty seconds or so but now every few minutes. It's like something is stuck in his throat but I don't know why he can't get it out. He sneezes once in a while, not too often but when he sneezes thick mucus comes out not just a normal sneeze.

Has there been anything you could think of that could be stuck in his throat that he ate? (ie. rawhide)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not recently, he had a treat chew bone on Monday in the morning but he was fine after eating it. I thought maybe he had had some water with sand in it from the rain storm we had but when he sneezes there is no sign of dirt or sand

Ok! thats good. Has Raptor been anywhere near other dogs in the last couple of weeks?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he goes to daycare and the dog park

Ok I think I have a good idea about what is going on. Puppies as young as Raptor have not had all their vaccines yet and their immune system (that fights off infection) is not mature enough. It is possible that Raptor caught a cold from another dog while playing. It is very important that Raptor be examined by his veterinarian to accurately diagnose an infection and to make sure he doesn't develop pneumonia. Tonight make sure that Raptor gets plenty of sleep, if he coughs a lot and can't sleep you can help by placing him in a room with some steam (like in the bathroom with a steamy shower).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he has a vet appointment this weekend already, should I make a sooner one to check him?

If you can get him in sooner I think you should, but as long as he is acting, eating and drinking normally waiting a day or two shouldn't be a problem. Just monitor his coughing as sometimes it is hard for them to sleep if they are coughing and may need treatment sooner.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you

You are very welcome. Do you have any other questions for me tonight?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually I do have one... Since I've had him since he was 8 weeks we have been working on potty training so I feed him on a schedule so that he poops at certain times. He eats dinner at 4 so he can poop his last time before bed and he has been throwing up yellow foam sometimes during the night. Is that stomach acid from not eating for so long?

Potentially. Puppies should eat at least 3 times per day and going longer than 8 hours without food could affect the puppy's sugar levels and possibly upset his stomach.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay. Thank you

I hope that I have helped you tonight. If you are satisfied please give me a rating. As a disclaimer the information provided is general and does not take the place of a physical exam, consultation and diagnosis done by your veterinarian on your pet. Take care!

You can go ahead and rate now. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Chelsea Pulter

Hello! I just wanted to see how Raptor is doing?