Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

MY DOG IS EARLY 13 YEARS OLD HE IS GERMAN SHEPHERD AND HAS

Customer Question

MY DOG IS EARLY 13 YEARS OLD HE IS GERMAN SHEPHERD AND HAS SPINAL MYRLOPATHY QUITE ADVANCED. BESIDES THIS HE HAS LOST HIS BARK AND ALSO HAS LOST A LOT OF CONDITION. HE USED TO BE 48KILOGAMS A BIG SOLID DOG. I THINK THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM, DOES HE HAVE CANCER? HE EATS VERY WELL ELIMINATES WELL THOUGH INCONTINEMT IN THE REAR END WHILST ASLEEP, NOT YET IN URINE. HE HAS A CIRCULAR LUMP ABOUT 2.5CM DIAMETER BY ABOUT 1CM HIGH. THIS DEVELOPED ABOUT 18MONTHS AGO AND HAS STAY CONSISTANT. DECISION MADE NOT TO REMOVE DUE TO HIS AGE. I THINK HE HAS CANCER AS I PREVIOUSLY HAD A DOG WITH SPINAL MYELOPATHY AND HE COULD NOT GET UP AND MOVE BUT DID NOT LOSE HIS BARK AD WAS NOT SO WASTED ALL OVER. THIS DOG LIVES ON A FARM WITH MY BEST FRIEND.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: HE IS CRIPPLED BUT CAN STILL MOVE ABOUT BUT MOST OF THE TIME HE LIES ON HIS BED. STILL ATTENTIVE BUT BACK LEGS CROS OVER AND ONE SIDE OF HIS HIP SEEMS TO BE MISSING - HALLOWED OUT LIKE IT IS DISLOCATED. IT IS THE OVERALL WASTING OF FLESH AAND LACK OF BARK. I MEAN HE BARKS BUT NOT SOUND COMES OUT. YOU WOULD NOT KNOW HE IS BARKING IF YOU DID NOT LOOK AT HIM. HE HAD A TRIGGER BARK ALL HIS LIFE SO FAR THAT IS WHY HE IS IN THE COUNTRY. hE IS ALL SKIN AND BONE AND HIS COAT WHICH WAS VERY THICK AND LUXURIOUS NOW SEEM TO STICK OUT ALL OVER IT IS VERY ODD. HE HAD A VERY BIG HEAD AND NOW THAT SEEMS TO HAVE SHRUNK AS WELL.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the degenerative myelopathy diagnosed?
2) Is he on any medication?
3) When was the last time he had blood work run? Was his thyroid checked?
4) Do you have a picture of the lump? Where is it located?
5) When you say he's incontinent, is this urine or feces? Is he having normal stool?
6) What is he eating at this time? Is his appetite normal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. Approximately 3 years.
2. no.
3. Vet took sample of lump on his foreleg just inside and slightly above his knee - suggested it be removed.
4. no picture. no pain when touched or prodded.
5. Faeces normal.
6. Normal appetite.

Thank you for the additional information.

The sample that the vet took from the lump would not have been blood work. Has this ever been run?

You mentioned that he is incontinent, is this urine? Does he dribble or urinate freely when he sleeps?

What is he eating at this time?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is not very helpful. As far as I know he is not yet incontinent with his urine. I agreed to paid $5.00 I did not realise you were in the USA and I feel this not going anywhere to help my poor dog. Thank you for your time and I will discontinue this conversation now. I have work to do. Thank you.

Customer service has been notified. Good luck!