Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

She is close to delivering her puppies. Her temp is 99.5. She

Customer Question

She is close to delivering her puppies. Her temp is 99.5. She is lying down and not getting up when someone comes in like she normally does
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Is it Normal for them to just lay there
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: No ma'am she is a healthy blue tick
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Dr Hill. Yes it is very normal for them to lay down when they are close to delivering. Usually you will be able to see contractions which look like a tightening of her abdomen and holding her breath for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is doing that
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

signs that the birthing process is not going normally and that she needs to be taken to a veterinarian are: active labor with contractions and pushing for longer than 90 minutes without delivering a puppy, longer than a 4 hour wait in between puppies without contractions, puppy that is stuck and only partially out and part of the placenta sticking out of vulva with no puppy delivery within about 30 minutes. Feel free to ask additional questions. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they should come in the net few hours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Next?
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

I would expect them to. Best to keep an eye on her but stay out of her space. Is this her first litter? Do you know how many puppies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you. Can I hook back up with you later if needed?
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Yes this question will stay open for a while and will help you the best I can. take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is her first litter and I don't know how many pups
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her name is katie
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Well I will work with you to get Katie through this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I feel much better!
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

I will be on and off the computer over the next several hours, but will try to keep a close eye on messages from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Let me know how Katie does with the delivery please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do far no change!
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Make sure she has a comfortable spot, food (she may not eat) and water. It may be a long night. Do you know when she was bred?

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Any progress with her delivery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure of an exact date somewhere during the last two weeks of June around the 23rd. No further progress. She is eating and drinking but no discharge. No more vomiting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is being very clingy to me but other than that about the same. I am a nurse but I'm used to patients who can speak! Lol
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

I know. I get a little frustrated when they can't speak. It is all in the body language. Is she still having contractions?

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=678&S=1&SourceID=42

I hope this shows up as a hot link. good article of Called birthing puppies on Veterinarypartner.com

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

I am likely going to bed soon. Will check in with you in the morning if that is okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YAY! We have the mucus discharge and steady contractions! I see a long night! Thanks for your diligence! Talk to you in he am!
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

YEAH!!! Drink some coffee. Talk to you in the morning.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. How is Katie? Any new additions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have no puppies
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

bummer. What stage is she in? It can take up to 36 hours after initial signs. Did you get any sleep?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did cause I stayed up the previous two nights! Lol she is acting normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her. Tummy isn't tight I don't think she is having contractions
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

So she needs more time. Hopefully you don't have to work this weekend. Nurses have crazy hours. I will be off and online over the course of the day. I would love to know how she is doing. take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know if wwe have any change I am off
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

OK great.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm