Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My yorkie has recently started peeing int he house and he

Customer Question
hi my yorkie has recently...
hi my yorkie has recently started peeing int he house and he shaking beforehand and then no lifting a leg or nothing (he a male) just walking and peeing as he walks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no i havent
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: mylo, he's 11 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about mylo?
Customer: recently he wasn't able to jump up on the couch for a week or two and then started to jump up again recently
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will someone be answering my question via live chat?
8/26/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time your companion had blood work and a urinalysis?
2) Are you noticing any blood in the urine?
3) Does he urinate while asleep, as well?
4) Is he also peeing when let outside to use the bathroom (or on potty pads)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he has a normal check up about 6 months ago, but no urinalysis
i dont believe there was blood in the urine, but it was alot of it considering he had just done out 2 hrs before that
not doing it in his sleep and is peeing like normal outside

Is he drinking more, as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they did do blood work and i just remembered he had been diagnosed w lymes disease. however they said he was ok as he hasn't had any symptoms
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its hard to tell if he's drinking more because we have 2 dogs and they share a water bowl.

This could potentially be linked to lyme disease, but I would err on the side of caution and assume that it's not.

The first thing we would want to rule out is a urinary tract infection. Your vet will likely recommend both a urinalysis and x-rays of the bladder to determine if there are any stones. A UTI and urinary stones can both cause the symptoms you're seeing.

If both of these are ruled out, a UTI and stones, your vet will likely talk to you about bladder contractility which can cause the walking and urinating, too. Sometimes its all the time, sometimes its not. But using a medication to help with contractility should work within a few days, if that's the concern. Your companion is getting up there in years, so this could be something that is linked to age.

Your vet will also want to be sure that the lyme disease has not caused some issues with the kidneys, so blood work may also be recommended.

For the time being, you can also look at a belly band for Mylo. These are tubes of fabric that are wrapped around the abdomen of male dogs and you use a feminine napkin on the inside of the fabric to absorb any urine that either leaks out (or, in the case of a marking dog, occurs from a hiked leg). This can help short-term but won't fix it long term. http://www.bellybands.net

Try to keep an eye on his water consumption because increased water intake and output may also indicate kidney disease, diabetes, Cushing's disease, etc.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse