PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I believe my dog has developed allergies as he is constantly

Customer Question

I believe my dog has developed allergies as he is constantly scatching, biting, and lickinghl himself self raw. What should I do? No fleas either
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is your companion taking any medication at this time?
2) Any illnesses you know about?
3) When did the itching begin?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No medication.
No illnesses
This summer...march...

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

It's very common for pet owners to complain that their had allergies during the summer and what we typically recommend for the average healthy dog is a dose of antihistamines. There are a wide range of medications that we can use that are available OTC for humans. My favorite antihistamine for dogs is Zyrtec because it seems to work better for most dogs than other antihistamines. I would recommend trying this with Diesel to see if this helps him. It may take 3-5 days of daily dosing to see the benefit, but they should be noted quickly after you start the medication. From there, you can continue giving until allergies resolve or you may continue through winter and back into summer. It will not harm a dog to be using antihistamines daily.

More info here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could it be the food? I am feeding blue wilderness salmon. Could this be an issue

The potential exists, but we typically I see these symptoms from seasonal allergies. If you don't see any benefit at all from oral antihistamines, a diet switch to something novel like turkey, duck, quail, pheasant, rabbit, bison, etc. would be worthwhile. Unlike oral antihistamines, it can take 16 weeks or so before you'll see benefits from feeding a novel diet to an allergic dog. The allergens must leave their body and their immune system stop responding to the assault for the body to then respond in kind. One of the best ways to rule this out is to give oral antihistamines and see if the pet improves. If they do but not at 100%, other medications like atopica or apoquel can be considered.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Diesel. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy