How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Loretta Your Own Question
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 28283
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Loretta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has PLE and is a 10 basenji mix. Was maintaining fine

Customer Question

My dog has PLE and is a 10 basenji mix. Was maintaining fine on Pred every third day for years. Now keeps relapsing and is on daily Pred and another to help with infection and runny stool. Doctor suggested next treatment is biopsy but the dog may not recover well. Could do the other endoscopy but the dog would have to come off the pred. I don't think my dog can survive without it for long. Thinking to make her comfortable and let nature take it's course. Thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: LD. Was for little dog because she came as a stray and tried to find her a home. Wound up keeping her.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about LD.?
Customer: She is on Science Diet ID low fat and matching treats. She does not get anything else.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your girl's condition. This treatment is unavoidable but long term steroid use will affect all of her organs and can cause other issues. Since she is becoming unresponsive, the best thing you can do for your gal is have your vet run blood work to determine if there has been widespread organ damage that is now causing her this distress. If there is evidence of organ failure, then you will have to make a choice on what will be best for your precious old friend and ease her suffering. If there is not evidence that her organs have been compromised, then further investigation may be warranted. It is best to get all the information you can so that you can make the right decision for your sweet girl.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have done the blood work and there is only a slight elevation of the liver, her protein levels were back up, and she was good for about two weeks. She had a major relapse this past weekend and is now on daily pred again. She is not bouncing back like she did before. Lethargic, picky eating, etc.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

A lot can happen in 2 weeks with this disease and the long term steroids that has been increased. I would still tend to redo the blood work since something is causing this non responsive condition that you are seeing. If she continues, this way, this is not a good sign and not much else can be done...I am so sorry. Just get more information so you can do what is best for your sweet old friend.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She confirmed what I knew. Working with vet to make my dog comfortable. Good to have second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good for you....i know this is hard but this is all you can do... Hang in there!! I know you love little LD and you will do what is best for her.

Related Dog Questions