Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 30lb dog just ate 300mg of rimadyl, Sammie and she is 15

Customer Question

my 30lb dog just ate 300mg of rimadyl
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sammie and she is 15 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammie?
Customer: she is on an antibiotic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....

How long ago did he eat it?

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate it within the last hour and yes to the hydrogen peroxide. I just gave her 30ml
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. The absolute best thing to do is to give that peroxide a few minutes to work. You can try walking her around so that it foams in her belly.

If she doesn't vomit, you can give her a second dose of peroxide in 5-10 minutes.

Let me know if she vomits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm outside getting her to run a little, nothing yet
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Okay....give it a few more minutes and then you can repeat the dose of peroxide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Give the second dose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did about 10 minutes ago
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Okay....you can try one final dose...but if you're unable to get her to vomit with that, then you need to have her seen by an emergency vet in your area so they can get the Rimadyl out of her system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She didnt throw up, just took her for a car ride and still didnt. She is drinking like there's no tomorrow, but my husband wants to wait until tomorrow to take her in, feels she would already have a reaction.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay....we had some storms here in MN last night, and I lost power.
Now that it's morning, it's a good idea to at least give your vet a call and see if they want to do some blood work, just to make sure that her kidneys haven't been impacted since she got 6X the normal dose for a dog her size.