How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelly Hill Your Own Question
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 594
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Kelly Hill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3 dogs may have ingested the D-con mouse poison. What can

Customer Question

My 3 dogs may have ingested the D-con mouse poison. What can I do from home? I don't know if 1, 2 or all 3 ate some. It was a small portion left in there and they are all 55+ pound dogs.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. I would make all three dogs vomit and then they need to be seen by your local veterinarian to start on Vitamin K1 to be safe (this can be done in the morning). Please read the active ingredient off of the package, so that I can make sure it is the one that causes clotting problems and not a newer product that causes neurologic issues and get back to me asap.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

you should give all three dogs about 2-3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally and then shake up their bellies or run them around. Make sure to look at what they bring up.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It does not have an ingredients list, but on the warning it says it contains the anticoagulant Diphacinone.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

On it. Give me a minute. Please go ahead and make them vomit.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

So that is an anticoagulant, which means that after ingestion the animal is not able to clot their blood normally and can bleed inappropriately anywhere in the body. Luckily you can make them vomit. How long ago did they get into it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure a couple hours. We weren't home, but so far only 1 dog has thrown up. The other 2 are bigger
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

You can repeat the peroxide once. Also give them a little bit of food in between repeating the dose. What did the one bring up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Mostly food and what looked like bile and mucous after that
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

Ok. You have the option of taking them to an emergency clinic tonight and getting them started on vitamin k. If it was a small amount of rat bait and it was just put out today, then you can likely wait until tomorrow and contact your local veterinarian. Vitamin K is extremely safe, so I would put all three dogs on it. the length of treatment time depends on the type of anticoagulant. If you would like you can also call the animal poison control center(###) ###-#### they are a non profit, but do have a charge. they have the largest database of toxins and toxicologists on staff 24/7. Feel free to post additional questions. Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was put out several days ago, so only a little was left. I still can't get the 2 dogs to throw up though.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

Because the exposure may have been over a few days. They definitely need to see your local veterinarian and have clotting times and then get started on vitamin k. Easy antidote. Just want to make sure they do not have clotting issues. Your vet may want to give an initial injection and then start the oral. Feel free to ask additional questions. Take care.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Onyx, Bowser And Clover. How is everything going?