Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Having seizures is on predisone and Cipro. I have gabapentin

Customer Question
having seizures is on...
having seizures is on predisone and Cipro. I have gabapentin and lorazepam and was wondering if I could give one of them to her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sassy she is 13
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sassy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sassy?
Customer: She has always had neurological problems we had a friend who was going to put her down and we took her. She is just getting worse my vet is out of town and she is having one now I suppose. Her eyes are rolling around and she is barking profusely. I have Tamorol? for pain but haven't given her any.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/20/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Sassy's seizures. How long has she had seizures? Is she actively seizing now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she started about 5 days ago and I think she is having one now barking and her eyes are moving back and forth her head is always sideways but really bad now

Are the eyes moving a little slower to one side and then quicker to the other (almost like a doll's eyes moving back and forth)? Do you feel she's wanting to circle, or fall to a side? Does she have a head tilt? What breed is she?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is a setter

Do you feel that if you talk to her she'll respond to you? If you sit with her and pet her, does she seem to settle down? When a dog has the head tilt, abnormal side to side eye movement (nystagmus), circling / leaning to one side - it may be a vestibular event. Older dogs can have vestibular disease come on suddenly like this for no good reason. Some can have issues due to inner ear disease or a brain lesion, but a vast majority are idiopathic and get better with time. Here is a good link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=564

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she seems to calm down some when I hold her head we just finished a round of ear cleaning and packing at the vet last month for her ears. I can hear that she has quit barking now I am upstairs and she is downstairs

Sometimes with medications being put in the ear or inner ear infection, they can have vestibular issues. If the last treatment with the ear medication was a month ago, reaction to the medication wouldn't seem to be the issue. If the ear is all smelly and inflamed, then the ear infection could be back. At my ER, we see about a case a month of an older dog having the idiopathic vestibular event come on. In these cases, rest and time are the two best things for it. The key is to make sure they can't hurt themselves while they are "off balance". The typical case starts to improve in 24 horus.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but she has done this 3 times in 5 days is this normal for vestibular disease

I wouldn't say that is the typical way the idiopathic vestibular events happen. Usually once they happen with all this, they are like that and progressively improve. If she's getting back to normal in-between these events, then she could (like you initially suspected) be having seizures. If she is truly having seizures with this frequency, then she should be seen by your vet and started on oral anti-seizure medication to give the best chance of breaking this cycle. What I'd also recommend is videoing what you're seeing so your vet can see it specifically.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok but even though I have gabepentin I shouldn't give her 100 mg to try she is 35 pounds

Honestly, gabapentin isn't something that is used for seizure management. Some have used it, if you look around hard enough, but its benefit hasn't really been shown. She should see your vet this morning. With it being saturday, more than likely their office will be closed later and not as easily available.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian