Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My puppy chewed up a package with 4 tablets of ibuprofen, it

Customer Question

My puppy chewed up a package with 4 tablets of ibuprofen, it is scattered everywhere, it doesn't look like she could have ingested that much, because there are tiny pieces everywhere and i collected about 2 almost whole tablets, but i'm reading about this online and I don't know what to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nienna
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nienna?
Customer: She is 9 months old and weighs probably 10kg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.

How long ago did this happen?

Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

What is the dose amount on the tablets?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This happened probably 30 minutes ago. I don't have hydrogen peroxide.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The dose was 400 mg ibuprofeno and 20 mg hioscina N Butilbromuro
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should I take her to the vet immediately? I have activated charcoal, but without hydrogen peroxide how can I induce vomitting first?
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So while ibuprofen is sometimes used in veterinary medicine to help with inflammation in dogs at a dose of 2.5 to 4 mg per pound (5 to 8 mg/kg) every 12 hours, obviously your dog got a pretty extreme overdose if she ingested two of those tablets.

Because of this, and because you don't have any peroxide on hand to induce vomiting, I absolutely think that the best thing to do is to have her seen by a vet today. Ideally, as soon as possible.

They'll give her medications of help protect her stomach and one to bind with the ibuprofen in her system and keep it from causing more damage. They may also want to get her on some IV fluids to help flush her system and protect her kidneys/liver.

I wish there was something you could do at home, but because she's so small and possibly ingested so much, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I hope that she's feeling better soon.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I could get hydrogen peroxide faster than I could get her to the vet, would that be safe?
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

You could definitely try it, but since she ingested it over 30 minutes ago now, there's still a concern that enough will have been absorbed into her system to cause a probem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok going to the vet now Thanks
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There were no vets anywhere with a doctor there. I went to FOUR. I followed advice about giving her activated charcoal and making her drink lots of water. I don't know what to do and I'm really scared. I can't get to another vet, I have no transportation for it these were all of the ones within walking distance.
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

At this point, the only thing to do is to keep an eye on her. Hopefully she won't develop any symptoms or signs.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. I'll bring her back to the place that said someone should be available in 2 hours. Even if she doesn't develop symptoms should I make sure she gets a blood workup to test her kidneys? Or to check for anything else?
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

I think that the blood work would be a good idea, just to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could this kill her?
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.

Every dog has different sensitivities so it's possible....but hopefully not.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Everything is good, I got her to the vet and she is on a medication for a few days. Bill of health is excellent. Thanks