Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My yorkie weighting 18.9 just licking the ant trap. Eating

Customer Question
his dog food now but...
My yorkie weighting 18.9 just licking the ant trap. Eating his dog food now but not sure what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
8/19/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What type of ant trap was this?
2) Any ingestion of plastic or any part of the ant trap itself?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hot spot
the trap itself I have..he did not eat or lick all the white stuff but not sure if any plastic was eaten normally he would not eat plastic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi are you there?

The active ingredient in these traps is Indoxacarb that very rarely is enough to cause a toxicity in dogs when just licking a trap. Of course, we do want to ensure that this does not repeat itself so moving the trap into a more secure location away from Olie would be advised. Although rare, we can see vomiting and diarrhea from ingestion of Indoxacarb. If this happens, use the instructions below to help him overcome the symptoms. Again, it is unlikely you'll see symptoms but best to be prepared just in case. He is allowed to carry on with his regular habits, such as eating his dog food, etc.

In the event that he does vomit:

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Start small and give more as long as no vomiting is seen.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, James. How is Olie doing today?

Hi James,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Olie. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse