Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Took my dog to the vet yesterday because she was having some

Customer Question

Took my dog to the vet yesterday because she was having some issues. They said probably a stomach bug. Gave me an antibiotic, some pepcid and another med I am to give her if she gets diarrhea. This morning she was laying with my mom and she laid there and urinated herself. What could it be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. thanks for the question.

This could go along with the other issues. It's not uncommon for dogs to get secondary urinary tract infections after having diarrhea, especially in females. The e.coli from the GI tract can ascend into the bladder and lead to an infection. This can increase the urgency and lead to some leaking of urine.

It's also possible that the diarrhea and vomiting led to dehydration and weakness. This could lead to leakage as well.

Either way, I would just monitor for now and keep up on the antibiotic. Make sure she's taking in plenty of fluids. You can use canned food that is watered down if needed. I think it should all resolve over the next 2-3 days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.