Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

6 month old Huntaway-Kelpie cross. Whenever she is given a

Customer Question

6 month old Huntaway-Kelpie cross. Whenever she is given a bone (raw of course) the farts begin and are awful. She has fully formed stools but can produce up to 10 a day (and night), Fed on lightly cooked low fat beef or chicken mince + chopped raw carrot, celery, raw egg, handful of top quality biscuits and brown rice. Can't survive the smell. Sandra.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sandra?
Customer: She is even tempered, shows little sign of distress. Is not scolded. Nothing negative.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, this isn't an uncommon situation and can just be related to the bacterial microflora (good gut bacteria) present. To help establish an ideal flora and potentially reduce the odor, you may want to try an OTC canine specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Bene-Bac). Otherwise we can bind that gas and odor with activated charcoal. This can be found in some pre-made dog biscuits but otherwise is over the counter at most pharmacies as a gas prevention treatment for people. A small dose 250-500mg daily can help reduce gas formation but also bind the odor and save your nose.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )