Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

42 lb dog ate 240 mg Lexapro yesterday. Is he going to make

Customer Question

42 lb dog ate 240 mg Lexapro yesterday. Is he going to make it? He is at vet now. Probably less than 24 h ago. More like 12
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nacho
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nacho?
Customer: No he is only 10 months old and obviously in a lot of pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Nacho has eaten 240mgs of Lexapro

Escitalopram (Lexapro) is a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor drug. We sometimes use these drugs in dogs to control anxiety, obsessive compulsive behavior and aggression. At a Lexapro dose of 0.3mg/kg we can see incoordination and lethargy for 12-24 hours, it is not organ toxic though. At 4mg/kg you can see tremors and vocalization.

If he is 42 pounds he is 19kgs (2.2 pounds per kilogram), so he ingested 12.6mgs/kg. (240mgs/ 19kgs = 12.6mgs/kg).

I would expect that he would be quite lethargic and uncoordinated, and he was likely experiencing tremors and possibly seizures. Tremors and seizures can lead to very high body temperature.

Other side effects that may be see include loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, lethargy, irritability, or paradoxical hyperactivity, vocalization, and panting. In rare instances dogs that aren't normally aggressive may become so.

Normally effects of the drug can last for 12-24 hours. If your pup has underlying liver disease they may last much longer because the liver is responsible for clearing the drug.

If he is an otherwise healthy pup then we try to block further absorption of the drug and can use intravenous fluids to cool him and keep him hydrated, anti-seizure drugs to control tremors and seizures, and drugs to control abnormal heart rates/rhythms if they occur.

Dogs that are treated aggressively with supportive medication by a veterinarian tend to recover and do well, if we start treatment early enough.

In most cases the pup should be back to himself in a day or two. He is exactly where he should be receiving the supportive care he needs. I would wait to see how he comes along over the next 24-48 hours, but odds are with supportive care he will recover.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara