Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog has small hard bumps all over his back, Chewy 7, He itches a lot. He has lost all of the hair and under his arms and

Customer Question
He has small hard bumps...
He has small hard bumps all over his back
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chewy 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chewy?
Customer: He itches a lot. He has lost all of the hair and under his arms and legs. His ears and skin smell yeasts.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
8/11/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you attach pictures of the bumps?
2) What treatment is being used for the symptoms you're seeing at home?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I'm afraid I am unable to offer a phone call at this time, JACustomer. Can we continue chatting over the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has list all of the hair under his arms. You can't see the bumps only feel them. Some are very tiny others are the size of a small pea. He has been on steroids for about two years to control allergies. His ears get very yeasty. His skin smells. He has gained 5 lbs since he's been on the steroids.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for typos.

Steroids long-term is not the best choice of medications and it sounds like it's not only not working any longer but you're starting to see some of the long-term effects like weight gain and hair loss. This is something that we associate with the chronic usage of steroids.

I would talk to your vet about switching to something that is safer for him long-term like apoquel if his allergies are that bad. I would also have these bumps examined. Chances are he either has a body-wide fungal infection going on that could benefit from anti-fungal therapy or he has a bacterial infection that needs antibiotics. A skin scrape or tape test on his skin will quickly reveal which he's experiencing. You may also wish to use a shampoo that will help regardless of the type of skin issues that he has (bacterial and yeast are both covered here: http://www.1800petmeds.com/product.jsp?id=prod10667&sku=10667&AFFID=GG&ID=1726180363&adpos=1o5&creative=45746555186&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIi4x8qxuM4CFUZqfgodVVMJUg

I
would also talk to your vet about the potential of a diet change. Often when we have a body-wide allergic reaction (especially if its year round), the dog may be reacting not only to environmental allergies but also to the pet's food. Using something like a limited ingredient food may help.

In the short term, consider using antihistamines to see if this gives him any relief. My favorite is Zyrtec and you can buy it OTC from any human pharmacy. Dosages here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACUstomer. Did you have other questions I could answer on this topic?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse