Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 13 lb dachshund ate a cupcake foil wrapper. Will she be

Customer Question

My 13 lb dachshund ate a cupcake foil wrapper. Will she be able to pass it ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Penny and she is 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

How is she just now? Any vomiting, paling gums, or belly tenderness?

Was it a purely foil wrapper or a thin foiled paper one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate this about an hour and a half ago. As of now she seems fine. No vomiting pale gums or belly tenderness. It was a thin paper lined foil wrapper.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Good, I am glad to hear that she is not showing any issues and that it was one of the thinner wrappers.

With this all in mind, we will need to tread with care. It is likely she will pass this, but being small there is always a risk that if this ended up a tight ball, they it could get stuck in her intestines. Though one positive of being foil lined is that these tend to be softer on the gut then foil itself and also tends to be visible on xray if one is needed.

With this in mind, we'd want to start supportive care. Now since this is likely already in the intestines, we will need to help push it through the rest of the gut. To do so, we can feed a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, when fish, or cottage cheese). To this, we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to keep stools firm and push this through. As well, we can also mix in a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication, Miralax, Lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These will help the wrapper slip through the gut for us. Ideally, we'd want to mix these into food for safe administration (to avoid any aspiration).

While doing this, we also will want to monitor closely for any red flags of obstruction and GI damage. Our main signs to watch for will be restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these, then we'd want her seen by her vet +/- an xray.

Overall, this is an item that usually will pass in our dogs but there is a small risk of obstruction for small breeds like Penny. So, we'd want to use the above while keeping a close eye to give her the best chance of passing this. Of course, any of those warning signs and we'd want a check to make sure its not caught. Otherwise, we'd hope to have her pass this in the next 48 hours without issue.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )