Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My husband f g ave my dog half of 50mg nucynta. Will it hurt

Customer Question

My husband f g ave my dog half of 50mg nucynta. Will it hurt it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Riley, 11 yr old Bichons about 17 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Nucynta is a relatively new drug so there's not a whole lot of information about its effects in dogs. However it is similar to a drug already extensively used in dogs (Tramadol), so overall I would expect that the drug is a low risk to your dog. Based on what is known about the use of Tramadol at that dose rate all you might expect to see is some degree of mild sedation.

2. But if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you do not induce vomiting and any odd or unexpected symptoms occur then you should have Riley checked over by a vet without delay. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Riley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Nucynta ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Please let me know how your dog got on with the Nucynta incident, this is a fairly new drug and I have little experience of it's effects on the dog.

I would value your input for future reference.

Regards,

Dr Scott