Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog has ingested amphetamine salts. What do I do?

Customer Question
My dog has possibly ingested...
My dog has possibly ingested some amphetamine salts.
She’s a 35 lb Shar Pei.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

How long ago?

How much does she have?

What signs are you seeing just now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unsure of exact time, I noticed upon waking up, which has been roughly 75 mins.
unknown amount, must have fallen on the floor. Currently she is restless.(stand up walk in a circle through out the room) slight panting. wont eat/ drink.
ive isoloted her and have turned the air conditioner on, to help keep her cool. i also attempted and was somewhat successful at giving her a crushed up benadryl (and water) through a syringe in her mouth.

Oh dear,

I am very sorry to hear that so much time has passed already since Amphetamine based salts or medications can be absorbed and thus cause adverse signs very quickly. So, we need to act fast and tread with care. Her restlessness will be part of this and as this will make her feel odd that may be why she isn't eating. Though more a concern is that this can cause agitation, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, panting, wobbliness, muscle tremours, and potentially seizures. And if we don't know how much she has had we cannot predict which signs we will see

Now we certainly don't want to be giving Benadryl here and too much time has passed for this to induce vomiting. Our only option to reduce absorption for her would be to use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise we'd want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As, well plan to keep everything quiet, dimly lit and calm for the next 24 hours to reduce the risk of triggering neurological signs like seizures.

Overall, we need to be careful if she has had this and is already showing signs. So, we can use the above but need to keep a close eye. And if we see any of those aforementioned signs, then we’d want to have her see for IV fluids to flush this our of her system +/- symptomatic care to manage these adverse signs and limit harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Doc,How do i get her to consume/ingest this activated charcol? Is there a lethal dose of amphetmine salts ? ANy suggestions other than I.V. to help her hydrate?Thanks Doc!

There isn't a set lethal dose for this in dogs, so we do need to be careful with any exposure for them. Anyway, as I noted before you can add it to food to feed her or mix it with water to syringe feed. Either is fine to use. Afterwards, if you aren't able to afford IV fluids, you can have her vet give her fluid under her skin (subcutaneous) to keep costs down and help flush this a bit. Else you need to encourage her to drink or give oral fluids via syringe (with care) to help flush as much as you are able.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian