Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Nimmo, My puppy was just diagnosed with Mycoplasma by

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Nimmo,
My puppy was just diagnosed with Mycoplasma by respiratory panel. The vet recommends Azithromycin since he is 10 months old. Is this the correct dosing, I have never heard of this but perhaps it is due to renal clearance or another reason...2 cc on day 1 & 2, then skip 2 days and repeat the dose, skipping and giving every 3rd day for 3 to 4 weeks depending on how the puppy is doing. Thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, this is an odd dosing regimen your vet is using. We usually will use Azithromycin either once or twice daily when treating for Mycoplasma. I can only assume your vet is concerned about using this drug in a younger dog or perhaps has an overly potent preparation for Spark's size. In either case, it would be better to speak to them about either using a proper daily dose (since we don’t want to end up with drug resistance or half treating this) or considering using Doxycycline as an alternative (where we only need to ensure we give food after dosing so it doesn’t sit in the throat and gets to the stomach where it belongs) for this Mycoplasma infection.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought that doxy was an issue with teeth in the growing puppy?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Doxycycline is much less likely to bind calcium in the teeth as Tetracylcine would. So, we do often use it in dogs this age with Mycoplasma without any issues for the teeth. Plus that concern isn't an issue once they are over seven months of age.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.