PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has dark circles under one eye. No tears or drainage?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recently got a couple birds and she just came out of heat I thoroughly possibly pregnant cause she was so tired but now I'm thinking allergies
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Can you post a few pictures of the areas you're seeing? Are they swollen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not swollen but the one eye is usually white

This looks like tear staining to me and may be due to allergies.

There are two things that I would recommend.

First, consider the usage of an antihistamine to see if reduces the staining (can take a few weeks). Benadryl can be given at 1-2mg/pound of body weight every 8-12 hours.

Secondly, I would use a product that can safely clean and whiten the coat in this area. My favorite for cats and dogs is Eye Envy. I've posted a link to their starter kit that's reasonably priced and works well without all the extras: http://eyeenvy.com/dog-starter-kit/

This tends to work the fastest. The powder also helps to prevent additional staining on the coat.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, Gale. Was I able to answer your question sufficiently?

Hi Gale,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy