Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog woke up panting & shaking last night; yelps when lifted.

Customer Question

Jax, my 2.5 years old dog woke up last night panting and shaking. He is yelping when picked up and walking around lethargic. His gums are a good color and he ate this morning, but his behavior is off and he didn't want to go for a walk this morning.
He was struck by a car in March and had fractured ribs and surgery on a ruptured bladder.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jax. Panting and shaking are pain responses and vocalizing when picked up is a hallmark for back pain. I can't ignore that he suffered extensive injuries in March and that his current discomfort is related to that incident. X-rays of his spine might be informative but analgesia is most important at this time. If you still have a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam or narcotic such as tramadol at home, it would be prudent to initiate therapy with these at this time. Failure to respond to these satisfactorily should prompt a return to Jax's vet for another once-over. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.