Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

We rescued a chewwinnie with mange. Got a ivermictin

Customer Question
injectionand in 10days or two...
We rescued a chewwinnie with mange. Got a ivermictin injectionand in 10days or two weeks will return for the second shot. The mange is full bodied. The pup is a year or just under. Can she have prednison to help with the extreme itching,scratching. Thanks for your time and help.,noel ,from Baja,mex.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: monkey butt. bad name I know BUT she has big callouses on each side of her tail. Thanks for the advice. We are in mexico,got the ivermectin shot at a spay,neuter mexican traveling clinic ,They will return in 10 days for the next clinic and she will get her second shot. I dont speak Spanish and getting her this care was not easy. She needs help with the scratching . I had an allergic reaction to a bee sting before we came on this trip so I have with me 20mg prednison. Can this help. She was going to be a dead dog if we had not found her and she may still be one if she scratches herself into a bad infection that we dont have medical care for. I guess that the price of being a BAJA traveler.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?
Customer: she eats drinks,poops and peepee normally, eyes are clear,no nose discharge,ears cleaned up well with peroxide .she is a Happy To Be saved pup.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
7/20/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

No one online can tell you to give prednisone to your dog as it is a prescription drug. However, some experts do believe that prednisone can in fact trigger demodectic mange so since the dog already has mange, it woud not be advised to give prednisone at this point. The ivermectin often clears up demodectic mange pretty quickly though it is likely to take months since the demodex is generalized.

Now what you might try is Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal which helps soothe the skin. It can also help with secondary infections which is what you want to help prevent. Another product that I've found seems to help with the itchiness is Happy Jack Mange treatment, but I will warn you that it smells like sulfur and stains everything it touches. It is not a good idea to have your dog in the house with this on it. However, I did see hair regrowth in a week with this product but I was also using ivermectin as well.

One thing that might help with the scratching is getting an infant t-shirt or onesie. You can cut the shirt under the armholes and put it on your little dog. If he scratches, the nails will be less likely to break the skin. You can also be sure to trim his nails so they are not as sharp either.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi again,

Just checking in to see how things are going with Monkey Butt. I hope you found my answer helpful.