Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

Hi, he just pulled out the catheter that was in his front leg JA:

Customer Question

Hi, he just pulled out the catheter that was in his front leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is some blood, but I can't tell from where. He is in the room with my sleeping baby, so I haven't gotten a good look. I'll look closer though
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not at this time. He sees his vet in the morning. I'm just concerned now if this is going to be a lroblem
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 1 year ago.

I want to make sure that I am understanding, your dog was sent home with an IV catheter in place, is that correct? If so, and he pulled it out, then you will need to place a pressure wrap around the site until he is able to form a clot. If the catheter is still in place and the end has come off (the male injection port) then the catheter has to be pulled out unless you have a clean sterile plug to put back in. Do not replace it with the old one as this is dirty and can cause him to get an infection in his blood stream. If you have an e. collar to put on and keep him form bothering it further, you should do that until you can take him to his vet in the morning and they can evaluate the situation. If you can attach a picture of his leg and the catheter, I may be able to figure out if its the catheter that came out or just the plug/injection port at the end.