Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I think my dog ate some of my metformin, she has been

Customer Question
I think my dog ate...
I think my dog ate some of my metformin, she has been vomiting white foamy stuff and was real lethargic. Her heart slowed and she was floppy. But we forced some Gatorade in her and she has come around walking and she h as peed
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Her heart is beating a little faster now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
7/19/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Vomiting is the most common symptom in dogs who have consumed metformin. We typically see that the worst the symptoms will happen in the first 8 hours that follow, but symptoms can last as long as 24 hours. Poison control warns of additional symptoms of lethargy, diarrhea, hypothermia, hypotension, pale mucous membranes, and hindlimb tremors. If she's doing better at home, monitor her well. Otherwise, a visit to the ER overnight may be indicated if her symptoms persist.

More info here: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/toxicology-brief-metformin-overdose-dogs-and-cats?id=&pageID=1&sk=&date=

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse