Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has raw skin just beyond s scotum. the vet tried

Customer Question

my dog has raw skin just beyond his scotum. the vet tried antibiotics , hormone pills. nothing seems to clear it up. the hair gets nasty greenish which i try to keep lean with just a mild soap or warm water than dry but keeps coming back. he also gets seizures so i have to be careful what i use on him. any smell will set him off
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: soldier he is about 5years old 128lbs german shep. we found him well actually he found us. he came walking up in our yard about 3 yrs ago
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about German?
Customer: hes on k-pro 5mg 2 x aday and phenobarb 2 pills 2 x aday . he had a severe yeast infection when we first tool him in an almost no hair left on him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me the active ingredient in k-pro 5mg, please? Can you upload a photo(s) of this raw skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. The nasty green color indicates pus and, in particular, the pus associated with a very resistant bacterium called Pseudomonas. Such a bacterium could explain why this skin lesion hasn't cleared yet but I also need to rule out that the skin isn't neoplastic (cancerous) and I need to know that there isn't a draining fistula under the hair indicative of foreign body penetration which has abscessed under the skin.