Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have two Dachshunds. They were both adult rescues. One of

Customer Question
them is not housebroken. I...
I have two Dachshunds. They were both adult rescues. One of them is not housebroken. I put pee pads on my carpet and lately when I come home from work(I come home for lunch to let both of them out into the yard to pee), one dog peed on the pads and the other one tears the peed-on pads to shreds and leaves a horrible mess which I have to vacuum every evening. The one dog who pees on the pads does not want to get his feet wet outside and therefore pees on the pad. Why do you think the other one tears the pads to shreds???
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
7/15/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Many dogs view paper and plastic material as play things. Pee pads also can seem like a perfect tug of war toy especially if they are bored with the toys you leave for them. Dogs get bored easily. It is recommended that you only put half of their toys down at any time and rotate them out every week or so. This can help relieve boredom. The other problem with pads is that dogs often start associating the pads with other paper and plastic. I get a lot of owners that trained their dogs to pads only to find they can not leave any paper or plastic down on the floor without it possibly being used as a place to urinate or defecate. I had a rottie that was trained to pads that would even attempt to go on a little 8 by 11 sheet of paper if my son left his homework on the floor.

A better choice which still keeps a dog used to eliminating on grass and dirt is to use a sod patch. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform as it absorbs the urine and other fluids. This is used by many apartment dwellers who can not get their dog into an elevator or down stairs in enough time to allow them to go outside.

A sod patch isn't that difficult to set up and hopefully your dogs don't have problems digging. Most of my clients also claim the grass seems to bring a fresh scent to the home as long as they keep the absorbent material underneath changed regularly. You might also get some kong toys that can be filled with yogurt or peanut butter without xylitol which you can then freeze and give when you leave. They do tend to give a dog something to occupy their time for hours and may help prevent her tearing up the pads.

Of course, you could also teach the one to not eliminate in the house with crate training. Confining him to a crate will also help determine if and who actually eliminates inside as well. Here is a site with more information on crate training.

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Herta,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Heidi. How is everything going?

Just a quick note to find out how things are going with your house training issue. Did you find my response helpful? I do hope you gave my suggestions a try.