PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is a 12 year old st bernard. She has been healthy, but

Customer Question

She is a 12 year old st bernard. She has been healthy, but this morning she started dragging her back legs. And she is breathing really heavy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Meeka
JA: Huh?
Customer: Meeka is he name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meeka?
Customer: She barks at night, cries it seems like. Almost dimensia. She is 12.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is Meeka on any medications at this time?
2) Has she had a veterinary evaluation for to using her legs?
3) Is she able to stand and walk, dragging them slightly between steps, or are they practically out behind her, limp and dragging as she pulls herself forward?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on rimadyl. She can stand but then sits immediately - which she never does. She used them but they drag behind her.

Because of her age and symptoms, it would be wise to have her evaluated by a veterinarian. X-rays and exam would be useful in ensuring that she does not have a spinal tumor or similar which may be causing the inability to properly use her rear legs. On top of this, your vet may want to also place her on mediation for pain, something like tramadol, gabapentin or amantadine. Many dogs who require NSAIDs to maintain their ability to move about comfortably will eventually move into also needing something for pain.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Hi, JACustomer. Checking in. How is your companion doing?