Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been previously diagnosed with liver necrosis.

Customer Question

My dog has been previously diagnosed with liver necrosis. She sometimes goes into a lethargic spell when eating something she shouldn't mostly dog or cat feces. That is really hard on her. However, the dogs got into a whole bag of pill pockets used to give her her daily meds. She ate most of them but on a good note she threw up most if not all of what she ate. However she seems to be a little sick from it regardless. I'm in the process of moving so, I moved away from her vet that is familiar and did all the testing and biopsy. She actually had a complete bloodwork done about a week ago and the results came back with substantial improvements. I gave her some extra lactulose to help push through any remnants of the pill pockets that she may of still had in her. She still seems a little sick though but it just happened this morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No. She is alert and doing well but just a little slow. I ran out of metronidazole for I used it before in a similar situation. She is on every medication her vet uses to treat liver ailments.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is sick from eating most of the pill pockets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fear is that she'll develop indigestion or gastro-enteritis with little bleeding due to vomiting so much but, I have no metronidazole left for that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Using lactulose as a cathartic was smart and I would expect her to remiss unaided when fasted for 12 hours following her dietary indiscretion.