Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He is a chihuahua I left he was fine and when I returned an

Customer Question

He is a chihuahua I left he was fine and when I returned an hour later he was listless and kind of shaky. He is sleeping now when he awakes he barely opens his eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ice he is 13
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ice
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ice?
Customer: he is normally active, weighs 6 pounds on softfood diet because I
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Ice is feeling unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check Ice over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and shaky makes me think that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible particularly in a dog of thirteen years of age.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ice's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Nimmo and thank-you for your quick response. He is currently sleeping on my bed. He does wake up when I arouse him then falls back asleep. He does not appear to be in pain. I've seen a few spiders in the house lately and was wonderingbif that could be the problem. Also, I have some liquid antibiotic that was prescribed to him a month ago after he had a toenail incident.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be okay to give him the antibiotic?

Well it probably would not do any harm and could resolve things if you are dealing with a bacterial infection.

What antibiotics do you have available?

Regards,

Dr Scott

It does not sound like a spider bite by the way ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amoxicillin

Hello again,

Amoxycillin would be a reasonable choice, the dose rate you previously used should be fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can it be then? He was fine when I left to the store and when I returned he was listless. He does screem and cry like a baby when I leave kind of like someones killing him could it be behavioral? Or is is something more serious?

Sadly there is no way of knowing precisely what is going on without examining him and perhaps running tests.

Sometimes what you are seeing can be something very minor which can pass on it's own or could be behavioural but really in a dog of this age group if symptoms continue then you should have him checked over by your vet.

So sorry I cannot be more specific, however I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ice's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank-you I will give him the antibiotic. I would take him to the vet but they want 341.00 and I dont have it. That is what they charge which I paid last month, but unfortunately I don't have it now. So should I at least give him the antibiotic and tramadol they gave him just in case he is in pain of some sort?

It's not easy I know but i would leave of the tramadol for present and just try the antibiotic and see how it goes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ice is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?