Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5 years old golden retriever had diarrhea and vomit since

Customer Question

My 5 years old golden retriever had diarrhea and vomit since 4am. yesterday and he started limp right back leg. Vomit was just yellowish liquid for 5-7 times, diarrhea was yellowish, shouting out like pee, sometime blood spot. This morning, stopped vomit, still diarrhea no blood spot, and less. No fever, he only ate white rice and sweet potato.
Because this heat, he got into muddy puddle in the park.
He picked and ate some garbage after July 4th. party in the park.
He vomit peace of wood chip yesterday.
He ate human waist in the park on July 5th.
He is in good spirit, but wanted take a taxi instead of walking.
What he has?
.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

What garbage did he pick up?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have not head back from you, but wanted to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). That all said, if he was able to eat human feces, these will be rife with bacteria and could cause this severe gut upset.

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if you see any more signs of nausea, then you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie caned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to bulk his stools up quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk for your lad, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since there hasn’t been any more blood in his diarrhea today, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing but his eating such noxious items as feces and garbage are very likely to blame here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample (to make sure he hasn’t picked up anything dangerous for him or you), ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication + fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** right hindlimb? I didn't know this that he had injury while we were out. All of sudden, 3am., he walk up, limb.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

This doesn't limp sound to be overly significant nor directly linked to the GI signs. Its is likely just related to weakness from his dehydration/losses with the vomiting diarrhea. Otherwise, it is possible he has a secondary strain but we'd just expect that to settle as we address those more pressing and worrisome signs.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last diarrhea was 5am. this morning, vomit was on Thursday noon. I feed him rice and sweet potato ( did not have pumpkin nor checkin ), and watermelon ( he was not drink water, just taste, but he loved to eat watermelon. In the past, watermelon did not cause lose stool. So far diarrhea and vomit getting better. I hope you are right about his hind leg. I called friend, her dog has to have an operation.This morning, he did not want to walk, want to get a taxi and he seems don't want to put weight on right hind leg, he was hopping. Dehydration cause this symptom? What about " secondary strain " means?Thank you,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thos are all fine, though you need to add one of the proteins I mentioned to make it more balanced for him. Otherwise, it is quite possible to see leg weakness when they have severe dehydration and electrolyte imbalance from situations like that. Otherwise, what I meant before by strain is a muscle sprain or pulled muscle. These just need rest to settle and we just need to monitor that for now.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I cook chicken right now. He usually on raw diet, he eat 2-3 lb. of checkin ( fresh ) rabbit, dear duck ( raw dog food ) and vegies , supplements.
I though few days won't hurt.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

No, they won't and will only help. And I do have to note that while we already have a lot of reasons for gut upset, if he is fed raw then we do have the additional risk of bacterial contamination from that. So, even more we'd want to start all of the above for him, monitor +/- have a check up if he doesn't settle.

Take care,

Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Third day diarrhea and vomit stopped. I gave him holistic med., rice, chicken and watermelon, he was not drinking water. I think he most likely had bacteria infection from contaminated water or things, he ate in the park. Only hind leg is still limp, but seems getting better. How long normally takes to recover from limp?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am glad to hear that he is improving, though if you think this is bacterial then he needs to be seen by his vet for antibiotics. Otherwise, limps can take 7-10 days to settle if only due to muscle injury. So, we need to monitor or have him seen if this isn't settling.

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keiko,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet