PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I'm on vacation and the dog sitter said he hasn't eaten in 4

Customer Question

I'm on vacation and the dog sitter said he hasn't eaten in 4 days. How can she make him eat until I get back?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ryleigh
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ryleigh?
Customer: He's a finicky eater and is on prescription dog food derm defense
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.
Has there been any vomiting?What foods have been tried?Any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't touched his food or want any treats since he stopped eating. Hes never really like eating and he would go a day without eating and vomit yellow bile. We would give him an acid reducer on days he wouldn't eat so he wouldn't vomit. He isn't vomiting. She has tried his prescription dog food derm defense wet can . Royal canin mature dog can food and science diet a/c. Refuses to eat anything else i.e. Treats, peanut butter. No bowel movement.

Thanks for the additional information, JACustomer. I'm sorry for the delay, I did not get a notification from the website that you had responded.

It sounds like your dog sitter has tried a lot of different options for him. Stress only makes a dog who already isn't keen on eating well even more unlikely to want to eat their food.

There are a few things that can be done at home to see if we can make him feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). The dog sitter can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. This will help to reduce the acid in the stomach, if this is a concern, and should give him an appetite.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, they can offer a bland diet. To make this, they'll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked.

They can also try feeding chicken, chicken and rice, pumpkin, squash or turkey pureed baby foods to see if this will entice eating. Satin balls are another option: http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.html

If these don't work, I would recommend a visit to a vet to be sure that there is not a stress-related condition that is causing issues for him including pancreatitis.

We should begin to see stool again once a pet begins to eat regularly, so expect that 2-3 days follow the onset of him eating again the bowel movements should begin again.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.