Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog recently went on medication disease. She started

Customer Question

My dog recently went on medication for Lyme disease. She started acting strangely on the medication and continues to act odd even though her medication is completed. She is 11 pounds and gained 5/6 more pounds in the last 3 weeks. She has been urinating more frequently and in the house, which is out of character for her. She has also been moving hesitantly and appears to suddenly have difficulty going up and down a couple of stairs in the house. She has also been a bit more stand-offish than normal, although this seems to be off and on.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: My dog recently went on medication for Lyme disease. She started acting strangely on the medication and continues to act odd even though her medication is completed. She is 11 pounds and gained 5/6 more pounds in the last 3 weeks. She has been urinating more frequently and in the house, which is out of character for her. She has also been moving hesitantly and appears to suddenly have difficulty going up and down a couple of stairs in the house. She has also been a bit more stand-offish than normal, although this seems to be off and on.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I'm not sure.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Weight gain, frequent urination (including in the house), hesitant movement, stand-offish
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jackie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jackie?
Customer: I took her to the vet 5 weeks ago because she was limping. The vet said she sprained her wrist. He also tested her for lyme and started her on the medication.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, I don't see one.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My fear for Jackie is that these symptoms could be due to many things such as Cushings Disease, a Urinary TRact INfection , Diabetes or arthritis or a combination of all of the above. It is very important that you return to your vet with Jackie for further testing including a blood panel, with a thyroid panel and possibly other testing depending on the results of the blood work. Jackie's condition is more complicated than only one condition so this testing is very important. I cannot give you any direction on treatment without knowing what is causing this in Jackie. It is unlikely due to the Lymes disease or the medication.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta