Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She started walking funny today and is shaking. She has 6

Customer Question

She started walking funny today and is shaking. She has 6 four week old puppies
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Its not a wound like shes walking sideways and up against the hall
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pax
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pax?
Customer: She is panting and has her mouth halfway open
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Eclampsia (hypocalcemia) should be the most important differential diagnosis at this time. Her walking sideways (ataxia/"drunken sailor") is one of the symptoms of eclampsia along with anxiety, restlessness, pacing, whining, disinterest in the pups, ithiness and biting at her feet, panting/difficulty breathing, mydriasis (wide open pupils), tremors, and even seizures and collapse. Please bring Pax to an on-call vet who can administer calcium gluconate or calcium borogluconate intravenously to affect. Time is of the essence in these nursing dogs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?