Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

It's says you are offline. I will update you more on s

Customer Question

FOR CANDY ONLY!
It's says you are offline. I will update you more on his recovery. Should I give him 4 of the LLysine in 24 hour period?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Yes he can have 4 of the L Lysine as long as it does not upset his stomach. GIve him 1/2 at a time if needed.

Sorry for the delay. I signed off and back on to rest my connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the furminator. I have a cordless Dyson any idea what will connect the end of it? The furminator won't . Or is there anything that has a built in vacuum pump too?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Dyson has their own but it looks pricey LINK

Here is one that has a few attachments LINK

I think the link that I sent you on the other question with the furminator one has its own vacuum system rather then one that attaches to your vacuum

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are all grooming tools. None have the vacuum it self. And none can connect to a cordless Dyson
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

How about this one and it looks like it is on clearance. LINK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reviews are not very good at all. I really want something that really sucks the hair up very well while brushing him. It must have good suction.
I wish I could find something that would connect to my cordless Dyson because it is powerful and the my cat is use to the power and likes it.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I am not familiar with your vacuum. Dyson has several styles of pet grooming attachments, what I would do is call dyson directly and see if they have an attachment that will work or even some type of hose attachment that you could then put a grooming head on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyson-DC59-Motorhead-Cordless-Vacuum-Red-Iron-/122011146549?hash=item1c686e5935:g:KYYAAOSwvg9XWeohAbove is the vacuum I have.Topcat is only dating the canned fish food or temptation treats.I gave him more lactulose in a couple of spoons of salmon he ate it all. I left the rest of the can of salmon sitting in the counter. How safe is it sitting out like that ? He won't eat it if it's cold. And if I warm it in the microwave he won't eat it. How much canned fish food can he actually eat without getting stones? I am nervous every about that. So far he hasn't sneezed once today. But I did notice his nose is warm again and dry. He is acting like he is much better though. I still think he has blocked hair in His stomach though.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

As long as your house is at a comfortable temperature then it will be fine sitting out for a few hours. My cats get canned food in the morning and they nibble on it through out the day so it sits for long periods of time.

Food is not the only cause for kidney stones and it would take months of feeding only this for us to worry about stones forming. I honestly would not worry about that right now, from what you have said he is a finicky eater so I am sure he will get tired of it soon.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I do not see any attachments that would work with your vacuum because it has the wand and not a hose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mine is a wand. Do you see any small canister types with long hose with good suction that would work?How much and long can I keep giving the lactulose? He had only had one bowel movement in 24 hours.I cleaned the box before I went to bed last night.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I would say you can give the lactulose for another 2-3 days if needed.

I have this small hand held vacuum and I think it has good suction and it is not to loud LINK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many times a day for the lactulose and how much of it? I have been giving him a cap full.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

We give as much as 3 mls a day so I am sure a cap full is fine though I don't know how much that would measure out to. I would just give it once a day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a small clear plastic lid on the bottle of lactulose.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Fill the cap with water and then see if you can measure that with a measuring spoon. 1/2 a teaspoon a day should be enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the small cap equals to a half of a teaspoon. The bottle says half a teaspoon every 12 hours.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

He can have it twice a day if he is not going but we do not want to cause diarrhea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in my office where he is sleeping and i heard him sneeze a few times I am going to give him more 2mg allergy medicine. He really hasn't that since last night I think. I only see one bowel movement since last night sometime. Should I give him another dose tonight?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can give him another dose tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Candy,
My kitty sleeps in a chair in my office and I have small white flat crib sheets that he lays on. I haven't seen any fleas however I looked today and I see flea dirt on the white sheet does that mean he still has them? Or old dirt from the past?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I have no idea why I am not getting notified of responses tonight. There must be something going on with the site and I have reported it. This could very possibly be old flea dirt if he has not had a bath so unless he becomes itchy or starts over grooming again then I would not worry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All day this site has said you are offline. All day
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I am here. I was waiting to see if you would get back to me before I logged off for the night. Thank you for telling me that it is saying I am offline when I am actually on. I thought I fixed that problem either today but I will have to ask them to check it again.

How is he doing tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been sleeping most of the day. He did eat a whole can of friskies salmon a large can all day. I didn't see him drink any water but I put a little water in his salmon.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I have been trying to reply back to you for 10 minutes. I had to log in and out again. I am happy to hear he ate that well. I am not to worried about him not drinking. There is plenty of water in the can food especially if you added some.

I am going to log off and see if I can get them to check my account. Please touch base with me tomorrow. I will be on by 12pm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said you were offline again. I go to church for 3 hours tomorrow.
I won't be back online tomorrow until 2:00pst.
If he is worse in anyway I will check in with u around 9:00 am pst
Have a good night thanks for caring so much.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

OK. You have a good night, give him a pet from me and I will talk to you tomorrow after church.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

UPDATE: Topcat has only has one bowel movement since we started talking in the last couple two or three days. This morning I gave him mariners friskies canned food with 1 capstar in it and he must know the pill is in it because he won't eat it. He is acting like his normal self and begging for food though. He ate one of his LLysine. But not the fish food maybe I should put more of the fish food in it so he won't know. I will try that. But what can I do about his bowels moving use more vaseline?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. You can use more vaseline, add a little mineral oil or olive oil to the food and continue with the lactulose. As long as he is still eating and not vomiting then I am not to worried at this point. Give him what ever he wants to eat as far as the canned food goes and yes you may need to add more food or try a different one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is not vomiting at all. I will go to church and see if he has eaten his food within the 3 hours time. I will give him a few temptation treats before I leave and see what happens. I will check in later.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Ok you have a good time at church and hopefully he will eat some more while you are gone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can I mix the capstar and food with the lactulose? Need an answer fast as I am leaving in a few mins

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update: Topcat had a pretty good bowel movement while I was gone not as hard as it usually is. It was formed but soft. He didn't eat very much while I was gone. But I came home and I gave him a LLysine and he ate a little of his canned food with the Capstar and little beef can food with Lara,one in it. I didn't get your message In time so he has two small plates. I have seen him drinking water too and he had a few temptation treats. I think I will leave his two plates and hope he finishes them today.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Yay I am happy to hear that he finally had a good BM. I also happy to hear that he is eating and drinking.

I have decided to take some time off and spend some time with my family at a BBQ and parade so it may take me a bit to get back to you. I just wanted you to know so you did not think it was a problem with the site today.I will check in through out the evening and get back to you as soon as I can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He isn't eating the food with the lactulose or the good with the Capstar in it. And he is asleep downstairs now. So I will give him some can food with nothing in it but water to try and keep him hydrated for now. Tomorrow I will sneak in the allergy medication as I heard him sneeze a few times today. Or maybe I will try the allergy med in some can food later when he wakes up. I will keep u informed. Thank you and enjoy family time there is nothing like good family time!
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

If you can not get him to eat the food with the lactulose in it tonight I would not worry since he did pass stool today.

Give him a good pet from me when he wakes up and I will continue to check in in case you need me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to get him to eat that food and check back later with you. It's 7:30 pm past and Topcat was laying on my lap and a dead flea as on my blanket from him. Also I gave him some liver and chicken friskier pate put some warm water in it and lactulose and 2mg allergy med and he ate some of it pretty good and drank water too.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Sorry I did not get back to you last night, we made a last minute decision to go out to our campsite so I had no internet

At least you flea you found was dead, that tells us what we are doing s working.

I just wanted to let you know I was online and here if you need me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the flea was dead....however I keep scratching not sure if there are really any fleas or my imagination.....lol.....he still has only had the one bowel movement in the last 24 hours. He didn't eat as much yesterday. Now that he is feeling better and can smell again I think he knows I am putting stuff in his food. He is acting his normal self. I gave him some chicken pate friskier with warm water and 2mg allergy pill and the lactulose he ate some of it and I gave him a LLysine. He has only sneezed once this morning so far and not green anymore that I can see.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Watch out for bites on yourself. I know me personally sometimes I get the itchies for no real reason. I found a tick on me last night and I still have the feeling like ticks are everywhere LOL.

Make sure you offer some food daily that doesn't have any medication in it. We just don't want to risk him not eating because he can smell the medication.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I will do that. He is looking around for plastic to eat I think he wants to eat it to try and throw up hair balls.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Oh No no plastic silly boy. One thing that you could get for him that may help is cat grass. Yes grass often causes them to vomit which is why we think they eat it when they are nauseous. The cat grass may be a deterrent from the plastic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he won't eat cat grass I already tried and tried real grass too he won't eat it.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Little stinker.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How much mineral oil should I put in his food and how often?

What is injection-IM/SQ?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

1/4 of a teaspoon once a day.

An injection is a shot. If you are reading that on your vet receipt or his medical record it means that a shot of some sort was given either Intramuscular ( IM = In the muscle) or Subcutaneously ( SQ= just under the skin)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

UPDATE: it's Tuesday morning 7:40am and he still has not had another bowel movement. Only that one I told you about a few days ago. Yesterday he did have some temptation treats as he wouldn't eat any of the can food I gave him at least not very much of it. I just gave him some food with the lactulose in it and he ate some of it and he ate 1 LLysine. He is urinating well thank goodness. And drinking water too. He is acting normal too. He has almost stopped sneezing completely. I only hear him sneeze once in a while. I was looking over his May 26 visit to the vet and that is why I asked about that injection. Because it showed that injection plus a convenient shot. So I didn't know what it was or for. I also noticed his weight then was 12.9 pounds and his weight last week was 13.2 pounds. I was thinking I sure hope the extra weight is not hair in his stomach. UPDATE: Its 1:15 pm Tuesday July 5 and he finally had a small bowel movement. Kind of soft but very formed.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Sorry for the delay I got called in to the clinic last night and just got home a few hours ago. I am happy to hear he has passed stool. It would take a lot of hair to add up to that weight gain so I am not worried about that. The fact that he is not loosing weight is great, always better up then down at this age.