Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

During the last 4 days my dog has increasingly stayed by my

Customer Question
side. She usually will...
During the last 4 days my dog has increasingly stayed by my side. She usually will move around the house with our other dog. She usually sleeps on my bed and I woke up with her on the floor curled up next to the bed. She is following me from room to room. Nothing has happened to frighten her. She is eating and responding to my directions and her bowel movements are normal. Nothing is different except her not wanting to leave my side. She even sits outside the bathroom till I come out. I haven't been feeling well, would this cause her to change. Nothing major, just my usual problems flaring up.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
7/2/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Good morning, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

It's very possible that you not feeing well as has her concerned for you. However, another thing to consider is that it's the 4th of July weekend and dogs are extremely sensitive to changes. They can hear much better than we're able and can detect fireworks from miles away. Even if they were not directly in your neighborhood, they could very well be causing her some anxiety as well which could be changing her behavior. This may become more obvious through the weekend as more fireworks are shot off.

It may help to give her some benadryl to take the edge off. Many dogs will experience mild sedative effect from 1-2mg/pound of regular benadryl. If you are concerned that this may be linked and your vet is open tomorrow, it may be worth requesting a prescription of acepromazine or alprazolam to see if this helps her through the weekend and if her behavior returns to normal come next week.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse