Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 3 year old male german shepherd who had an acute

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old male german shepherd who had an acute attack of pancreatitis approx 36 hrs after receiving 4 vaccinations that had been given one year prior. Sx vomiting, bright red blood liquid diarrhea...new vets gave iv fluids, flagyl, low fat diet...abd xrays neg for blockage...c. perfringens. Dog got a 2nd bout approx 6 wks later and we tooki to emerg vet hosp...u/s was negative...pancreas normal...no deficiency in digestive enzymes...blood work normal except was given dx of SIBO. He was given flagyl again plus probiotic. He is still with some diarrhea...took back to vet today for IV fluids, repeat bloodwork and was told he should get sulfalazine in place of flagyl. I have been reading about tylan for this problem...it is not an immune modulator or anti inflammatory but seems to have good reviews as a bacteriostatic thyat only targets bad bacteria in intestine (if I am reading it correctly). Have you had experience with tylan and german shepherds with SIBO?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: We live in Florida and he had been in some small lakes chasing balls...I feel he most likely ingested bacteria there as it is warm and lots of geese in water....otherwise, he is kept clean and well fed....my thinking is over vaccinating in 2 1/2 years...received 3 series after the one year p7uppy vaccines...obviously, I was naive about that until he got so sick. my husband also thinks colitis as he is a family physician and i am a nurse..but it is worrisome.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mcintyre (Mac)...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mcintyre?
Customer: No...my veterinarian is a vet and a surgeon and her husband is a gen vet. They were both working at petsmart for a while and have opened their private clinic recently. They have taken care of Mac since he was 8 wks old except when I took him back to petsmart after they had left. I am taking him only to them from now on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We're not entirely sure how tylosin works when addressing chronic colitis. Oral tylosin is commonly recommended for the adjunctive treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and idiopathic antibiotic responsive diarrhea (ARD/previously called SIBO) in dogs, cats and some small mammals. A double-blinded prospective study comparing tylosin to placebo in dogs with a history of chronic diarrhea that was thought to be responsive to tylosin in the past, showed that 85% of dogs receiving tylosin had perceived normal fecal consistency versus 29% of those receiving placebo. A case-based review of the evidence for treatment of clinical signs (vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss) associated with mild lymphoplasmacytic, eosinophilic gastroenteritis concluded that based upon current evidence, milder forms of IBD don't always require immunosuppression and can often be managed with a combination of diet change, antimicrobials (e.g., tylosin) and time.

To answer you directly, then, tylosin is certainly reasonable for Mac even though no physical findings are diagnostic of ARD other than nonspecific small-bowel diarrhea and occasionally weight loss. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will look further into research about tylosin.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?