Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Think ok. 65 lb female German Shepard chow mix ate 1/4 box

Customer Question

Think ok. 65 lb female German Shepard chow mix ate 1/4 box of chocolate muffins. Box is 35 oz so 9 Oz of muffin not 9 Oz of chocolate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Box will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Box?
Customer: Sams club muffins double chocolate has semi sweet chips and other cocoa. Dog simply appears tired and it is our normal bedtime
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she have these?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
45 minutes ago. Lathargic but normal this time of night. No other symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 oz of motly sugar. Damn these things have tons of sugar. More then soda
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now as you are aware, chocolate can be dangerous for dogs and semi-sweet and cocoa powder are two of our stronger chocolate sources. Still, as they were part of a muffin, we’d consider this to be much lower then a 9 ounce ingestion. So, we’d be less worried about severe signs (ie neurological signs, heart/breathing rate changes) but could certainly see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea). And I would note that these can be delayed in onset; often taking up to 4 hours to cause signs.

With this all in mind, we have a few options. First, since it has only been 45 min, we can induce vomiting just now to get as much of this out of her stomach as possible. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Otherwise, you can choose to monitor and start supportive care to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this doesn't sound to be a severe chocolate dose and the sugar will just contribute to gut upset. So, considering our time frame, we can induce vomiting now to reduce this risk further or use supportive care with close monitoring over the next 48 hours to ensure no adverse signs arise.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree dose is not anywhere near the .13 oz per pound of chocolate but almost exactly that of total muffin, not chocolate. I elect monitoring. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Since it was a muffin ingestion as opposed to pure chocolate, that sounds like a fine plan of action.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet