Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

She had puppies last Tuesday but now she doesn't want to eat

Customer Question

She had puppies last Tuesday but now she doesn't want to eat or drink
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Veda
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Veda?
Customer: Well we noticed she had a few fleas on her before the puppies were born. We treated her and our cat. But my daughter saw a flea on two of the puppies so we had terminex come out and spray. I don't know if that makes any difference or not.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: She isa great Pyrenees lab mix.. this is her first litter. There are 10 puppies.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Veda has never drank a lot of water. She drinks more when other dogs are around and she will drink when they do. We have struggled with finding a food that she likes.

OK, got it. How long has it been since she ate a meal? Are the puppies nursing and doing OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had eaten small handfuls of food when one of us feeds it to her. The puppies seem to be OK. Although the smallest one seems to cry a lot. They seem hungry

I am very concerned about a condition called eclampsia- which is common in nursing dogs. It is when the calcium levels in the blood get dangerously low. This needs to be treated quickly or it can become life threatening. It will need to be diagnosed through a blood test to check her calcium levels. I recommend getting her seen first thing tomorrow, and it would be best to keep the puppies from nursing until she can get her blood levels checked. You will need to feed the puppies with a puppy milk replacer, which can be obtained through a pet-store or your veterinarian.

It is possible she has something other than eclampsia that is causing her signs, but this will need to be checked for first.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if you have any other questions at this time. I am providing a link that summarizes eclampsia for you to read over.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=1505

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a milk replacement and I won't be able to get one until morning. What should I do?

I see. Is there perhaps a local 24 veterinary clinic nearby? You could bring her in to be checked out, or ask if they have puppy milk replacer available for purchase. If not, I think you should continue to let the puppies nurse- because I don't want them to go the whole night without eating. Try to encourage Veda to eat with different foods- you can try canned dog foods, boiled white breast chicken and white rice, plain yogurt, boiled eggs, lean boiled hamburger, etc.

And then get her checked out by her veterinarian as soon as possible in the morning :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why won't she drink water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that part of the eclampsia

Well, anytime a dog is not feeling well, they can lose their appetite and desire to drink- so it is not specific for eclampsia, but a sign she is not feeling well.

The other thing I get concerned about in post-partum dogs is the possibility of a retained fetus (a puppy that wasn't born and still in the uterus)- which can lead to very serious infection in the mother.

How is Veda's energy? Besides her not wanting to eat or drink, how is she doing?

Just wanted to check in and see how Veda is doing?