Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog just recently was diagnosed with SARDS. His eyes are now painful and he won't keep them open.

Customer Question
Hi! My dog just...
Hi! My dog just recently was diagnosed with SARDS. His eyes are now painful and he won't keep them open. My ophthalmologist prescribed Flurbiprofen when we thought he was eligible for cataract surgery. I discontinued use and now his eyes are painful. My regular vet prescribed Neo Poly Dex until the ophthalmologist can see him. Can they be used at the same time?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Junior, he is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Junior?
Customer: he is recently diagnosed as diabetic as well
JA: I'm sorry Junior has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/28/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. Drew, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you. FLurbiprofen is a non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug, or "NSAID". The "Dex" in NeoPolyDex is a steroid type anti inflammatory. In general, non-steroidals and steroids are not recommended for use together, as this may increase the risk of side effects. However, this is generally more of an issue when used "systemically" - via pills or injections, and I would not anticipate topical use in the eye to create a similar risk.

As long as the medicines seem to be helping, I don't see a problem in continuing, but I would definitely recommend a re-evaluation by the ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have an appt at the ophthalmologist as soon as he could see him. I was only giving Neo Poly Dex since Friday but his eyes seem painful so I wanted to switch to Flurbiprofen. He does not want to open them and when he does, his third eyelid is showing. My regular vet did not know how to help me further after she got the pressure down with NPD.

If the pressure is elevated, then an anti glaucoma drug is needed, such as Dorzolamide, Latanoprost, or others... If high pressure has been confirmed in the eye, then one of those drugs or equivalent needs to be started right away.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian