Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is constipated after eating too many bones. I gave m.

Customer Question
My dog is constipated after...
My dog is constipated after eating too many bones. I gave him. A senekot about 20 hours ago, nothing has happened. Not sure what to do next.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Austin?
Customer: No , he's in perfect health
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/25/2016
Dog Specialist: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Austin. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Hopefully Austin is just a little constipated from the bones he had a while back. There are a few different things that could help your boy in this situation. If he seems to be a little constipated and his poop is quite hard, there are a couple of things you could try from home. The best at home remedy is to pop around a dessert spoon or two of cooking oil on some wet food twice a day for a few days. This helps coat the poop at his terminal colon to help them slide through more easily. If his poop is really quite firm and he is very painful when trying to pass them, then you can purchase a product called micralax from your local chemist. This is a suppository that needs to be inserted up the bottom, so if you do decide to try this make sure you lubricate the nozzle and insert if very gently into his bottom before squeezing out the contents. This breaks up the poop in the terminal colon and coats it allowing the dog to poop easily within 5 - 10 minutes. If you don't feel comfortable or confident in doing this, then you are better off letting your Vet handle this problem. In some cases a full enema under general anesthesia is necessary. You should then feed something high in fiber for the next few days such as mashed pumpkin, or another option would be to use a little plain metamucil on his wet food (around a teaspoon) once per day ongoing. The psyillium husk in the metamucil helps to keep the stool moist and gel-like, assisting your boy when he is passing his feces.

If your boy seems distressed in not being able to defecate, then you are best to get him seen by a local vet this morning if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian