Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog just ate an ant trap with .05% indoxacarb, Harper, 5

Customer Question

My dog just ate an ant trap with .05% indoxacarb
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harper, 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harper?
Customer: Mixed breed, half wheaten/half tibetan
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me if the dog swallowed the trap itself?

How many pounds is the dog?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40 lbs. She didn't swallow it, but ripped it open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not worried about any plastic she might have ingested, I found the trap.... Just the poison.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

You have dodged a bullet. The plastic is more of a problem then what is inside. I am very familiar with Ant Traps and have checked the MSDS sheets.

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01289.htm

The contents if ingested will not cause poisoning to pets. We have found they are low toxicity and do not carry any ill effects for dogs. There is a large margin of safety in the use of these ant traps.

If a large amount of the plastic was ingested, then we would have a problem. In this case it does not sound like it would be an issue.

I would still monitor your dog for any gastrointestinal upset and follow up with your Vet.

If there is any problems with her stomach, you can start a bland diet of boiled skinless chicken breast and white rice for a couple of days to keep the stomach rested. She should be fine.

Joan