Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I believe her eardrum was punctured during a dog fight.

Customer Question
Can't get in to see...
I believe her eardrum was punctured during a dog fight. Can't get in to see vet until tomorrow morning.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I'm giving her tramadol and antibiotics. Is there anything else I should do
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Blaze and she's 4 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: She's being treated for Heartworm
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Last injections were 2 months ago
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2016
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Why do you think the ear drum has been punctured?

Any breaks in the skin or wounds?

How is Blaze just now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was in a fight with her brother. She has a puncture wound on head above left ear and just below ear. When bit, her ear filled with blood first, I wasn't too alarmed at first because I know ears bleed lots. She didn't want me to touch it but I managed to get the bleeding to stop. Now its leaking a clearish fluid and when I look in her ear it looks like a yellowish puss pocket.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I started her right away on antibiotics and tramadol for pain. She is carrying her head tilted a bit towards that side and she's not her usual active self
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has a vet appointment in the morning but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be doing in the meantime
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She weighs 76lbs so I'm giving her 1.5 tablets of trimeth-sulfa 480mg and one 50mg tablet of tramadol every 8 hours.

Thank you,

My apologies for the delay, my previous reply didn't seem to send.

Now the reason I asked about your suspicion is because it is very difficult for the ear drum to be ruptured unless something (ie Q-tip) is put down the ear canal too far. So, it is doubtful that he has actually disturbed the drum. Instead, it sounds like he lacerated a blood vessel and that we now have seroma type fluid (which is normal in wounds) and potentially a brewing infection/abscess (the pus).

So, with this in mind you were spot on with the antibiotics and pain relief. Though if she is 76lbs, then a base dose of Tramadol is actually 68mg. So, you may need to give her another half if she is still sore. The only other treatment we could use if this isn't actively bleeding is to gently flush the ear canal and the wounds with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This will help remove as much bacteria from all these sites and is nice and safe if the drum is damaged.

Overall, its unlikely he has directly damaged the ear drum and seeing it (since it is very deep in the canal) would require an otoscope. So, its more likely we have fluid from a forming seroma and a possible abscess. So, your treatment is good thus far but we could flush her ear to just reduce any bacterial build up he

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian