Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Dog keeps licking the bricks that are part of a feature wall inside the house. Nothing is wrong with her as such, She's

Customer Question
She keeps licking the bricks...
She keeps licking the bricks that are part of a feature wall inside the house.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Nothing is wrong with her as such
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She's in good spirit just not eating properly
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's three months old she's a dogue de bordeaux. French Mastiff.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: And her biting, she's biting really hard and gets a little aggressive also...
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Irra
JA: Huh?
Customer: Pronounced ee-ra
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/22/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long have you owned Irra?

2) You mention that she is not eating well, can you tell me more about this?
3) When was her last visit to see the vet?
4) How many vaccines have been administered?
5) When was her last fecal exam performed?
6) Any other pets in the home?
7) When did the licking of the bricks start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Licking probably last week or so. She's had one vaccination she's due to get her three months one now.
She's the only pet. saw the vet last week cause she had some sort of urine infection. Mucous like substance and slight extremely slight bit of blood. They took swabs etc haven't gotten back to me yet. She's also hasn't had any blood or anything in urine for days too. She's better.

We commonly see behaviors like this are part of exploring a young dog's environment. She may also be doing this out of boredom if she is the only pet within the home. If she does not stop the licking action with verbal correction and redirection (give her a toy or something else she can play with), you can try sprays like bitter apple to give the surface a bad taste. In an older dog, we would be more concerned about metabolic issues and possibly dietary concerns but she's rather young for this just yet.

At her age, it will also be time to look into starting her in puppy classes for socialization and training. This will help with the biting that you're seeing. At this age, puppies are learning what is acceptable and learning how to play with their new family members, so this comes with the territory of owning a puppy. DDB, of course, get rather large so you'll want to start these efforts soon so that she will learn early how to be gentle with you and your family members.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is Irra doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse