Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been vomiting today and is very week ha can

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** my dog has been vomiting today and is very week ha can barely stand or walk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Well a while bake I took him to the Vet because he started drinking water slot like he couldn't get enough,they did a bunch of tests could not find any thing wrong, I had a friend tell me that it might be Cushing's disease
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/20/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a copy of the blood work that was performed on your companion?
2) If not, do you recall what test were performed?
3) Has the increased water consumption occurred since then?
4) How has he been eating?
5) Any abnormalities leading up to today?
6) What does he normally eat? What brand of food?
7) What is coming up in the vomit?

I will do my best to assist you from this point forward, but I suspect your companion needs to see a vet promptly. The profound weakness that you describe can be a sign that your companion is in critical condition.

I'll be standing by.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm at work I will call in a hour thank you

Deborah, we can keep chatting via the computer, if its faster for you. The website offers phone calls to all customers. It's not required.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No let's keep corresponding by email...

If you wish to keep corresponding here, can you answer these questions:

4) How has he been eating?
7) What is coming up in the vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure if copy of the blood work but I can check when I get home, they tested for diabetes, xray,ultra sound, urinalysis you name it they did it but they couldn't find anything wrong...

There's no time limit on our conversation. Whenever you can, go ahead and post the information and I'll see if there's anything I can glean from the info that might help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok will do... thank you!!!

Sure thing :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello there...well I pulled out all of the paperwork on la beau, I took him in on 12/3/2015 for excessive drinking of water the test that they took description wise says best care Senior DogsSA 765 I'm not sure if this was the blood work total price for that was $421.75 that was the first visit the second visit was on 12/10/2015 description States Us in house referral total price $469.60 I'm assuming it may have been x-rays or ultrasound the next date I took him in was 12 /13/ 2015 and he went in for urinalysis and they gave him an injection just in case if he had a urinary tract infection total cost was $289.59 after all this testing they couldn't determine why he was drinking so much water or was thirsty all the time so when they couldn't find out what was wrong they never got back to me or suggested anything else but to go have him retest it at another VCA hospital and I don't have that kind of money 2 friends told me that he might have Cushings so I contacted the vet to see if any of the testing's included a Cushing's Disease test Zillow they didn't give me a yes or no answer they just wanted me to bring him back in and pay more money for another appointment which I don't have so here I am right now...help!!!

Thanks for typing all of that out for me.

The SA765 includes Complete Blood Count, UA, total T4, Super chemistry, ova and parasites/giardia test and heart worm antigen. The US in-house would likely be the ultrasound charge. It sounds like the next visit included a UA and then also a convenia injection.

Cushing disease is diagnosed though a few different tests. It's not as straight forward as just a yes or no for one test or another, though. It's often a case of ruleouts (rollout everything else and run a few of the tests that give us a better idea on bushings and go from there). You can learn more about that here: https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach/Pet-Health-Topics/categories/diseases/cushing's-disease Dex suppression tests and ACTH stim tests remain two of the most common run these days. Unfortunately, you may never get a more exact diagnosis without running at least one of these tests.

On this paperwork you were left with, did they leave you any actual results from the tests? If so, I can use that information to see what the results were. If not, you are allowed (by law) to request a copy of the results for your personal records. The more info I have, the more I can help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No just a few updates in vaccination like rabies Bordetella flea prevention which they wanted to hold off on doing because of what was going on with him...

That's understandable. Would you be able to request a copy of the results? That's going to give me the ability to help you best in either unraveling what information is already available or to help you determine what needs to be done from this point forward.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your the professional... tell me what to do?

In your shoes, I would contact your vet tomorrow, let them know you'd like a copy of all of the RESULTS that were obtained from the dates you mentioned above from:

Blood work
Urinalysis
Ultrasound
and any other pertinent veterinary records.

This will not only give you a copy of what's available (which may contain more information from those who have seen her records in the past), but it will give you and I a chance to look those over and see what Boo should have done from this point forward.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanx again... you are so helpful!!!

Sure thing. I will be on tomorrow. As soon as you're able to get a copy of those results, post them for me using the paperclip attachment (you can also upload them to tinypic.com and share the links back). It may take me a short while to get back here to receive them, but as soon as I do I'll get to work on finding you some answers on what options exist for your companion :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!!!

Absolutely.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there, so I got all of beau's records,do you have a fax# ***** I can fax the info to you?

I'm afraid that that I do not. Can you upload them as pictures? We have the picture attachment function available as a paperclip in this chat box.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will try...

Any luck?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian