Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Well she was on the bed playing with our other dog and she

Customer Question
fell off the bed and...
Well she was on the bed playing with our other dog and she fell off the bed and cried out the started limping and is still limping this morning but she isn't crying but won't seem to put weight on it just limp around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gizmo and about 3 I believe I got her from an animal shelter
JA: How old is Gizmo?
Customer: I believe she is about 3 all the papers have from animal shelter is adult
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gizmo?
Customer: She is 22 pounds and a min pin mix
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
6/19/2016
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 year ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is this a hind leg or a front leg?

Is she putting the paw on the ground or holding it up all the time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hind leg and holding it up

Thank you for the additional information. It is helpful.

Dogs who will not put weight on a leg could have a dislocated hip, or a knee injury such as an ACL tear. You can read about dislocated hips here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/hip_dislocation.html

And read about ACL injuries here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=474

Since she is not putting weight on it, it probably is NOT a pulled muscle. I would have her seen by your vet as soon as possible.. If possible, contain her in a crate until you can get her seen. If it is a dislocated joint it is best addressed as quickly as possible. In addtion, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If aspirin is used, your vet may not be able to prescribe other drugs until it clears from your dog's system. I'd probably hold off on the aspirin if you are going to get your dog in pretty quickly.

If Gizmo was my girl, I'd crate her and only let her out to eliminate and have her on a leash then. Keeping her as inactive as possible will help prevent further damage until you can have her seen. It is hard to say which is the problem since all the possibilities could occur given the situation.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.